Just a few questions

36 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
15.5 K Views
Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

Sorry for the delay, I got caught up in other things. Essentially 10-bit YUV 4:2:0 was basically done in a few days, with one minor detail left unfinished.

What editor would you like to edit the video after capture?

ReplyQuote
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm not much of an editor. I only do some basic stuff sometimes with adobe premiere. Usually i just chop out the pieces i want with virtualdub and then append them together with that as well. That's about all the editing i do :P.

Afterwards i encode the resulting video with MeGUI to x265.

ReplyQuote
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey there, here i am again. 4 months later, still hoping for the update. Hope you're doing well. Any chance for a release soon? 🤩 

ReplyQuote
Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

Hi,

I'm terribly sorry for the very late release, I just released 2.3.0, it really should have been released before the summer, but things got in the way.

Anyway, it now includes 10-bit YUV 4:2:0, however open-source tools based on ffmpeg won't be able to decode it until they implement decoding for this variant. Which shouldn't take too much time to do, however it might take a while to trickle down to all the various software using ffmpeg.

ReplyQuote
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I hope it's ok to revive this topic, it is about the update requested in this topic so i thought it would fit.

So i did a 2160p60 4:2:0 recording a while ago and i tried to encode it but like you said it would take a while to trickle down. That's still not happened AFAIK, so today i tried to load the video using avisynth AVISource (the video is an AVI). It plays fine through MPC-HC. So the script works, MeGUI loads it fine but when trying to encode it i get an error saying 4:2:2 input is not supported. So that's weird, i checked in MPC-HC and there to it claims the video is 4:2:2(p210).

Just in case i missed something or did something wrong i recorded a few frames making sure its set to P010 and MagicYUV 4:2:0 10 bit encoding, and that also reports as being p210.

The video decoder says "video: Y3"(no idea what that really means though), using MadVR as output and  says its p210.

Is this a bug in the codec or am i doing something wrong trying to encode it?

edit: adding ConvertToYUV420 in the avisynth script makes it ouput as p010.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Helly

ReplyQuote
Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

Apparently that is because the codec does allow decoding 10-bit YUV 4:2:0 as both P010 and P210, doing 4:2:0 -> 4:2:2 interpolation for the latter while decoding.

By default the codec actually presents v210 when asked about 10-bit YUV 4:2:0 what to decode as. This is because at the time MPC didn't support P010 at all, so it was for compatibility. Still, the codec can be forced to decode as P010, it's just by default it presents v210, and that's what most software go along with (assuming naturally that what the codec presents by default is the best choice).

You can try specifying the pixel_type="P010" parameter for AVISource(), perhaps it might force it to decode as P010.

Helly reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3