Notifications
Clear all

Help with installation

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@roggie891)
Topic starter  

I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 18 (mostly) & Davinci Resolve (rarely) to edit video.   I downloaded and installed the codec, but am unsure how I can use it.  I have the VLC video player, but couldn't install it with the Read Me file that came with the codec.  (I couldn't find the .dll file that was supposed to be downloaded with install, then copied/transferred to the VLC player.)  I mostly edit both 8 and 10 bit 4k drone video as well as video from other sources. I don't deal a lot with individual codec's.  Is there an actual instruction manual?  Can anyone give me some help?  Thanks.

Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

To convert your original footage to MagicYUV for editing you need to use a conversion software. VirtualDub2 is probably the easiest solution to do that right now: http://virtualdub2.com/
It might be a bit tricky to use first, but for simple conversion tasks, it is the best in my opinion.

VLC is just a player and is not really suited to do conversions in general, also the MagicYUV VLC plugin is decode-only. In general, if you have VLC installed in it's default location (C:\Program Files\VideoLAN), then you don't need to do anything, just run the MagicYUV installer and it will automatically copy the plugin DLL file to the appropriate location for VLC ("C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\codec\libmagicyuv_plugin.dll"), only if you have VLC installed elsewhere you need to copy the plugin DLL manually. Also if you reinstall or update VLC, you probably need to reinstall the codec as well by running the codec installer, as VLC probably removes the plugin during upgrade.

You are right however, it would probably be useful to have an article on how to convert footage to MagicYUV for editing. On the cyberlink forums there used to be a guy who wrote some guides a couple years back, but it was before MagicYUV 2.0, and t might be outdated.

ReplyQuote