Clear all

Encoding Premiere Export

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, i had to do a little editing recently with one of my recordings. Its a 2160p30 10bit file. Editing was easy but the problems start after the export. The exported file came out as 2160p30 10bit fine, it plays fine in a mediaplayer (MPC-HC).

But when i encode it to x265 (or x264) it comes out very choppy and basically unwatchable. This only happens when i export it with premiere. The original before edited file encoded to x265 comes out fine without the choppy playback. Encoding to x265 is done with MeGUI.

So now i don't really know where the problem comes from. But i'm thinking is most probably the premiere export, i just don't know how to fix it. Any thoughts on this?

Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply. Could you figure out what the problem was in the meantime?

I'd have to see a sample exhibiting the problem, with all the files, ie. the original, the export and the encode.

It might be possible that MeGUI misreads some AVI headers perhaps or something similar, but I really have no idea.

ReplyQuote
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have just managed to actually encode the file correctly and so "fix" the problem. But the problem seems to be with MeGUI in this case. I tried to encode the same file with handbrake and it worked without problems. So misreading the headers could be it. Weird though that exports with virtualdub are read correctly. I edited a small part of a longer video with premiere and when muxing it together i got some warnings about the codecs private data not matching but the file plays correctly.

If you want to try to find out what the problem is i can send you the files (or parts of them), just let me know where/how to send it and how much you need.

ReplyQuote
Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

Yeah, I can take a look. Any part/length is fine which exhibits the problematic behavior. Can you upload to google drive for example?

Regarding the "codecs private data not matching", what is that warning exactly? Where does it come from, etc?

ReplyQuote
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I put them on a dropbox.

Here's the original

Here's the Premiere Output

Here's the MeGUI encode

Honestly the warning is probably not that important. The bit i edited in premiere is a tiny part of the whole video. I encoded the rest with MeGUI and i put it all together later with MKVToolNix. That's what's giving the error.

"The codec's private data does not match. Both have the same length (128) but different content. Please make sure that the resulting file plays correctly the whole time."

I did check the resulting file and its all good. I assume it's because the files come from different encoders. (Premiere with HEVC and x265)

ReplyQuote
Balázs
(@ignus)
Estimable Member Admin

@Helly I don't see anything wrong with the Premiere export, the AVI headers seem to be fine.

The only oddity is with the original, where the AVI headers contain the framerate as 10000000/333333 which used to cause issues with the MagicYUV Adobe import plugin (it should be 30/1), namely the import length could end up being incorrect, this was fixed in 2.3.0. Is it a vMix recording btw?

So really, I have no idea why MeGUI would encode choppy.

EDIT: Regarding the private data mismatch, it's a fair warning, since it can cause serious problems, but if the file plays fine, then it's OK.

Out of curiosity, how did you obtain the 10-bit recording? What HW/SW are you using? I myself have never done recording like this, so would like to know 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@helly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @ignus

Out of curiosity, how did you obtain the 10-bit recording? What HW/SW are you using? I myself have never done recording like this, so would like to know 🙂

I recorded it from my ps4 pro using a Magewell Pro Capture 4k HDMI +LT with virtualdub2. It was recorded in 10bit 4:2:2 as you may have noticed which my PC could just handle in 30fps.

So not vMix and i guess the oddity comes from virtualdub2 then. Just strange all around, i guess if i can't figure it out ill just encode the premiere exports with handbrake. Quality of the end result looks the same so i guess it doesn't really matter.

ReplyQuote
jonnywellium
(@jonnywellium)

Posted by: @helly

So, i had to do a little editing recently with one of my recordings. Its a 2160p30 10bit file. Editing was easy but the problems start after the export. The exported file came out as 2160p30 10bit fine, it plays fine in a mediaplayer (MPC-HC).

But when i encode it to x265 (or x264) it comes out very choppy and basically unwatchable. This only happens when i export it with premiere. The original before edited file encoded to x265 comes out fine without the choppy playback. Encoding to x265 is done with MeGUI.

So now i don't really know where the problem comes from. But i'm thinking is most probably the premiere export, i just don't know how to fix it. Any thoughts on this?

Using a Magewell Pro Capture 4k HDMI + LT and virtualdub2, I captured it from my PS4 Pro. As you may have observed, it was recorded in 10bit 42, which my PC could only handle at 30 frames per second.

So it's not vMix, and I assume virtualdub2 is where the weirdness comes from. It's all quite unusual, so if I can't work it out, I'll probably simply encode the Premiere Exports using Handbrake. I suppose it doesn't really matter because the final product appears to be of the same quality.

ReplyQuote